Thursday, March 28, 2013

Perspective

I wasn't sure how to start a post describing the decision to pull out of the Umstead 100 Mile Run.  I knew it had to include struggle, since I felt that really described my last four weeks.   I thought of the typical images of trying to climb mountains and pushing  and dreaming, but nothing seemed right, so I scrolled through some pictures on images.google.com  and this one stopped me in my tracks:


Right beside the many other images of struggling runners, climbers, bikers, and other athletes, this picture appeared as if to say, "Not having the ability to sit up is a struggle.  Needing help with feeding, dressing, living, that is a  struggle.  Being able to train to run 100 miles through the woods, whatever the outcome,  is a gift.  Be thankful everyday that you had the experience to try, and can try again." 

No comments:

Post a Comment