Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Perspective (Part 2)

I guess it is all relative.  Tomorrow I should be on my way to North Carolina to anxiously prepare for Umstead.  Today should have been a day of dizzying excitement, packing, and obsessively checking lists to make sure nothing is forgotten.  I wouldn't have even dreamed of getting a run in, even a little one.
But I did run today, a full four miles at an 11 minute pace and without pain numbing drugs in my system.  And I am over the moon about that!  I feel amazing.  Because last week at this time, I could not even run 2 miles without feeling sick to my stomach from  the knife jab that insisted on attacking my knee.  Little victories.  I would not have wanted to go another 96 miles today, but my knee stayed calm, my breathing was relaxed, and I knew I had made the right decision to DNS.  Maybe, given time and patience, my body will heal itself.  Maybe I can skip surgery and work my way back.  Maybe Umstead just wasn't meant to happen this year, and maybe, with what I have learned, I can find a happy compromise between my lofty goals and my body's ability.  For now though, I am happy with four gentle miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment