Thursday, February 6, 2014

What Else Ya Got, Mother Nature?

So far, despite experiencing everything in Mother Nature's winter arsenal, my training is spot on.  I have made it to my multi-day-back-to-back long runs and so far so good.
My take on an ice bath recovery after 24 miles
Interestingly enough, I am becoming unphased by the single digit temperatures, and simply add another layer.   Its good to be training in the coldest winter in decades while also going through hot flashes.  Enough said.

Here's what we woke up to yesterday:

 
Dangerous and slick, but the roads seemed okay.  And since we also had no power, the idea of going for a run seemed pretty smart...until the first humungous chunk of ice fell from the trees and shattered into a million pieces of jagged glass like pieces in front of me. 


Um, I think I will go back inside.  And with no power, the treadmill wasn't helpful.  So I scathingly looked at my bike trainer.  I could do that in the dark, with no heat and if I timed it right, I could even listen to "no commercial radio" on my clip on.  (note to self: you might want to charge your devices when an ice storm is predicted).  Anyway, I climbed on my bike, struggled to find the pedals in the pitch black of my basement, turned on the music and rode away.
They make it look so fun
I was on that bike for 90 minutes, just peddling and sweating and having a great time. (Apparently, just like the guys in the ad).  With the house at a comfortable 50 degrees, it was one of the best indoor rides I have ever had.  And since I was suppose to run for 10 miles, I made sure to hit 30 miles on the bike to make it "even".  When I figured I had gone long enough, I got off, made my way upstairs, and thought "Holy S*%*, I'm cold.  (No shower after - the one flaw in my plan)  But I changed into dry clothes and checked another work out off the training calendar.  I know, it  is not the same as running, but it had to count for something.  A short run today and then a double with 16 on Friday and 31 on Saturday at the Mid Maryland 50K.  At least the massive storm predicted for the weekend never materialized.  But even if it had, I have no doubt that Mother Nature would not have beaten me.  (She may be cruel, but she sure is pretty to look at.)





No comments:

Post a Comment