Sunday, February 23, 2014

Do Nothing Stupid

Since my last few posts have included downer weather updates, I feel the need to be positive.  I am feeling so much better than I was last year this time, it almost scares me.  My knee hasn't made a sound with all the miles I have asked it to run, and I am surprising myself with how doable these long runs are.  Even though I was so disappointed that Hashawha had to be canceled this year, the trails in this area are nearly impossible to really run on:
and this isn't even the trail but the road leading to the trail!

Hiking and post holing are possible, but that would probably add way too many hours to the time I am already out there.  And so far, I have been incredibly lucky.  Mid Maryland was run on one of the few weekends we weren't socked in by snow, ice, or sub zero temps, and my 28 mile run yesterday was actually delightful.  I had planned on another long back to back, but Friday morning was just plain creepy.  I dropped my car off for some maintenance and decided to run while it was in the shop.  Starting out wasn't too bad, but gradually, the fog rolled in and I could barely see in front of me.




I was pretty sure the cars would not be happy with a dumbass runner on the side of the road, so I opted for 7 miles instead of the 12 I had planned.
By the time I got home, it was starting to clear, but looked like death rolling in from the Moses movie.


Luckily though, by Saturday a.m. it was gone and the sun was shining brightly.  Funny how much easier it is to run 28 miles when it is nearly 60 and the sun is shining.  I was absolutely loving the day.  While the boat ramps to the reservoir are not open in January and February, I slipped and slid my way down the unplowed, untreated road to get a look at the frozen over Liberty Lake.





And since by now I was over 20 miles into my run, I am glad they had posted this sign, in case I was tempted to do either:
No Swimming OR committing suicide, just so we are clear
It was a great day out there.   While the weather would have been perfect for Hashawha, I feel certain the trail conditions would have not only made the course a slush-fest, but the mud and even remaining ice might have jeopardized how healthy and strong I am feeling.   So as I hit the peak of my training for Umstead, I am concentrating on "doing nothing stupid."  Believe me, that is much easier said than done.

No comments:

Post a Comment