Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Elementary School Challenge, Catoctin and Roasted Red Beets

I know, a pretty long title. But all important milestones this week.  Or last week - I still haven't figured out when one week begins and the next ends.  There should really be a rule about that.
Anyway, I completed the 8th elementary school run this week.  Way back in the summer, ERR (Eldersburg Rogue Runners) started a challenge where runners would run to every elementary school in the county.  The first run was just one week after my disaster at Highland Sky, but I had committed to the challenge and was determined to make it.  Figures that the temperature was over 100 that day.  But that wasn't even the best part.   Even though this was the first run, it was also one of the longest, and after about 5 miles or so running in the brutal heat, the wind started whipping and the sky got dark...you guessed it - a late day thunderstorm.  But after another 4 miles in a deluge, we all made it safely from Mt. Airy ES to Winfield ES, and that was the beginning.  I have made it to almost every group run since, and have made up the one I had to miss because of another race.
Great sign for a school!
This week, we ran 8.5 miles from Westminster ES to Elmer Wolfe.  It was a great run.
One thing about these runs is that "when nature calls" you are pretty much screwed.  And a lot of road runners just don't pee in the woods like trail runners do.  I am always having to covertly sneak away so I am not an outcast among the roadies.  I was able to do just that after I finished this week, since I dashed off from this run to meet Pam and Alan for another 17-18 miles on the Catoctin Trail.  You remember Catoctin don't you?  And if not, does rattlesnake  ring a bell?  Yup, same trail where I had my first encounter with not one but two huge rattlers.  Luckily it was too cold for them to be sunning this time, so I was safe.  What a beautiful trail.  The huge chunks of quartz were unbelievable.  I even picked one up and had Pam zip it into my pack to take home (because the climbs weren't enough - I had to haul rocks with me too!)  Even though we got off trail a few times, we were treated to views of gorgeous waterfalls, fast and furious from the previous day's rain. So pretty, and such a delight to be out there again.



So that brings me to the last part of the title: Red BeetsWHO KNEW that they could actually taste good??  I have read about so many runners doing the Whole 30, and eating Paleo and all those good things, but I am just too OCD to change my eating habits that much.  However, I do like veggies, and eating REAL food, so when I saw a recipe for roasted red beet salad, I decided to try it.


 I feel like I have been duped my whole life about this roasting stuff - truth is, ROASTING MAKES EVERYTHING TASTE BETTER!!  Its true- all the soft, squishy, stinky, slimy veggies I HATED as a kid (and adult) taste so good when they are roasted and tossed with sea salt.  It works for the beets, for brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, all kinds of squash and probably a bunch more I haven't tried yet.  I am pretty much in veggie heaven since I discovered that veggies don't have to come out of a can.  So as you can see, this has been a pretty big week for me.  Following through with the ERR challenge, returning to Catoctin despite my intense fear of big rattlesnakes inches from my feet, and eating long hated veggies.  This will be a tough act to follow for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment