Friday, March 18, 2016

We're Going Streaking!

Well that title brings back fond and zany memories - but its not that kind of streak.



 I finished my 6th Hashawha Hills 50K in February, and that makes me one of two (one male, one female) with the most finishes.  I have a rich history with Hashawha, and even more so with the fantastic race director, his wife,  and all my Hashawha friends.  In so many ways, on so many levels, Hashawha is my happy place. 

I learned of "Coach" (the HH race director) long before I ever met him.  Another runner friend would tell wild tales about a trail running guru who was training her to take on a 50 miler - the JFK no less, and she would have me mesmerized with her training, her ability and her fearlessness.  At that point, some time in 2008 or so, the idea of running 31 miles seemed ridiculous, and 50 was just full out crazy.  She told stories of eating while running - real food, not gu or gel, and falling hard, but continuing on with bandages and blood.  She talked about blisters and gallons of water and baths between the doors of the car.  And she spoke with such fondness, such respect for this Coach, who was carefully guiding her to success. 



The first time I actually met him, he wasn't even running.  He had torn a muscle in his leg and would have to bike, or hike while the rest of us ran.  What??  Wait, he had a TORN muscle and still was going to be out there.  Doing something?  And then just a few weeks later, he was back out there and this time he was running, leading a pack of us through Hashawha.  I just remember the switchback trail, covered in a fresh layer of ice and snow, with crystals everywhere, and looking exactly as if it could serve as the background for a beautiful fairy wedding.  I don't think I have ever seen something so beautifully extraordinary.  And running through it - the stillness, the quiet, it was truly magical.  And all the while, Coach ran silent, just far enough ahead to lead but occasionally stopping to share a trail memory or suggestion.  And, as he always does at the end of every run I have ever done with him, he asked if I had fun.  Afterall, isn't that why we are doing this?
doesn't it LOOK like fun???
I did have fun at this year's iteration of the Hashawha 50K.  In fact, I was enjoying it so much, I had to remind myself more than once this was a RACE - I was trying to go fast, not just meander on the trail I loved so much.  There is so much to enjoy at Hashawha.  So many different kinds of trails, each part affected differently by the weather, the season, the users.  There are places where horses leave deep hoofprints, and when the ground is frozen, these small holes are wickedly tricky to run through. The lower trail can be icy, damp, or comically muddy, as was the case this year.  The mud had a thin glass-like covering of ice, but after numerous runners cracked through, the thick sludge underneath was a shoe sucking mess.  Then the trek up the hill and the trail becomes dry as can be with thick piles of leaves and assorted branches and roots ready to trip up an unsuspecting runner. Gravel road sections can be run full out fast, especially down hill sections and the creek crossing is refreshingly cold and playful.  There is just no part of this trail that I do not love, even the windswept fields, where on a clear day, the view of the surrounding countryside goes on forever.

And the section through the pine rows signasl the end of each lap and and offers a padded surface for tired feet before the final push to the finish.
I didn't start out to make Hashwaha a streak race, but after 6 finishes, I would love to be able continuing running it for as long as I can.  And if I ever stop ultra running, it would be fitting to stop at the place where I started.

No comments:

Post a Comment